Leather branded company logo and a box to Aid & Assist in Vampyric Manifestations.
So, now the eyes have their mechanics built in and the mouth is operational. Next step is to re-attach th back of the head and age. This is a project that I am working on for The Strange Case Company.
I decided to go as Kiefer Sutherland’s evil vampire from The Lost Boys.
I decided I’d have a go at making a gelatin appliance. Previously I’ve only ever done foamed latex and putty appliances. So, Gareth cast my face which gave me a positive to sculpt on top of. I changed the shape of my nose, added higher cheekbones and a very prominent brow. I then made a mold of that.
The gelatin came in a 1kg block and seemed to be quite sturdy stuff. I popped a cupful into the microwave until it was nice and runny. Poured into the mould and squished the two halfs together. Left for about an hour, I opened the mold and out came a pretty good appliance.
I was kind of disappointed that what should have been thin rubbery edges seemed to be quite fragile, almost like the gelatin had absorbed moisture and went a little mushy. Perhaps it’s not best suited to ultracal plaster molds ?
Anyway, it applied ok.. the edges were a little rough but the translucency of the gelatin worked well.
Here’s the results.
I helped a friend with his costume, he was going as skeletor so I thought it would be good to create a decent skeletor skull that he could wear perfectly on his face. It has a seperate jaw so that it would be able to move when he talked.
First off, I had to cast his face.
Which resulted in this positive cast from the mold.
On top of this I sculpted the skeletor face in plastilene, basing it partly on the animated version and partly on the live action movie.
I then used silicon putty to coat the sculpture in a nice thick layer as I would be casting the finished piece in hard polyurethane resin. Here’s the finished painted piece.